Mesquite is popular in the southern United states, especially Texas, where BBQ means BEEF
With its rich and distinct flavor, Mesquite wood ideally pair with brisket, steak , and other cuts of beef, but it also complements other meats such as pork and lamp. It can be used with lighter meat s such as chicken but may be overpowering. Mix it with mind flavor like oak to customize your blend
- On a gas grill, fill a reusable smoker tray or a foil pouch with two to three handfuls of wood chips.
- Place the tray or pouch directly over the hottest burner until it begins to smoker. Using tongs, move it to one side to make room for the food.
- The chips will smoker for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- To accelerate the smoking process on your gas, Use only dry chips and turn the temperature to high when you first place your pouch or tray on the cooking grid. Within a few minutes, the chips will begin to smoke. At that point, tern the temperature to your desired cooking level
- If the chips flame up on your gas grill, use a spray bottle of water to douse the flames .This tip does not pertain to electric smokers.
- Wood chips can also be used on charcoal as described for gas grills, However, wood chunk work better with charcoal than chips.