Pecan is a customary wood when it comes to barbecue. It produces and aroma similar to Hickory but adds a sweeter flavor to the meat being cooked.Like hickory,it pairs well with pork,But it is often used with heavier meats such as beef or lamb.Pecan can also be a great complement to the lighter items such as poultry or vegetables when mix other woods like apple or peach.
Use with gas grills or Electric Smokers
- On a gas grill, fill a reusable smoker tray or a foil pouch with two to three handfulsof wood chips. Place the tray or pouch directly over the hottest burner until it begins to smoker. Usingtongs, move it to one side to make room for the food.
- The chips will smoker for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Tips and techniques
- To accelerate the smoking process on your gas, Use only dry chips and turn the temperature to high when you first place your pouch or tray on the cooking grid. Within a few minutes, the chips will begin to smoke. At that point, tern the temperature to your desired cooking level
- If the chips flame up on your gas grill, use a spray bottle of water to douse the flames .This tip does not pertain to electric smokers.
- Wood chips can also be used on charcoal as described for gas grills, However, wood chunk work better with charcoal than chips.